The truck driver arrested for the bus crash that killed 18 students when they burned to death Wednesday has been charged with manslaughter, negligence and possession of narcotics.
- Three members of the teaching staff at Cairo University were imprisoned for 15 days over charges of funding terrorist operations
An alleged militant group called “Lions of IS” claimed it was responsible for the deadly attack on Karam Qowadis checkpoint in North Sinai that killed over 30 soldiers on Oct. 24.
- Dozens of Muslim Brotherhood members and supporters of the National Alliance to Support Legitimacy organized limited marches in Cairo and other governorates Friday. Clashes took place between protesters and security forces, and led to the death of two people in Heliopolis and Fayoum
- Eight people with alleged affiliation with the Islamic State group in Fayoum were imprisoned for 15 days pending investigations over charges of attempted murder and affiliation with an illegal group
Military and police forces launched new airstrikes on alleged militants in the Sinai and North Coast. A security source said the campaign resulted in the killing of five members of the Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis militant group, and the injury of ten.
- President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi will meet Saturday with his counterparts from Greece and Cyprus in a tripartite summit in Cairo to discuss cooperation and the maritime border between the three countries
Following the United Nations Human Rights Council second Universal Periodic Review (UPR) held on Friday, Egypt said it will respond to 225 recommendations submitted from 122 states regarding the country’s human rights record over the past four years.
- Security forces on Friday killed five militants and arrested another 14 in the North Sinai cities of Sheikh Zuwayed and Arish
- Egyptian steel producers have refrained from raising steel prices for the local market after the government introduced protective tariffs on imports in August
A U.S. business delegation is scheduled to arrive in Cairo to participate in an economic forum scheduled for Monday.
- President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi gave the go ahead to the construction of a new city on the east bank of the Gulf of Suez.
- Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou said 850,000 German tourists visited Egypt between January and August.