Doma trial postponed, Tantawy’s file opened in 2011 Cabinet protests case
Activist Ahmed Doma during his trial - YOUM7/Sami Waheeb
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: Giza Criminal Court adjourned to Nov. 22 the trial session of jailed activists Ahmed Doma and 269 co-defendants charged with illegally protesting outside the Cabinet and burning the Institut d’Egypte in December 2011.

“Defense lawyer Khaled Ali has been referred to investigations after being accused by the court of ‘disrupting’ the session,” rights lawyer Mokhtar Mounir said Wednesday on his official Twitter account.

The attorney general also ordered investigations into reports accusing Mohamed Hussein Tantawy, the former head of the Supreme Council for Armed Forces that took power during the transitional period of January 2011 revolution, and Sami Anan, former military Chief of Staff, of inciting violence and killing protesters.

Doma filed a report against them in August 2012, telling Al-Masry Al-Youm that there must be “punishment to avenge the martyrs of the revolution,” adding that he was also officially accusing the chief military paratroopers of starting the Insitut fire.

At least 47 reports have been filed and plaintiffs have been called for interrogation Wednesday morning, ONA reported.

In the last session of Doma’s trial Oct. 28 the court listened to the testimony of TV presenter and journalist Wael al-Ibrashi who had hosted Doma on his show.

The court considers Doma’s remarks on television a confession; however Ibrashi said the remarks should be considered “spontaneous emotional talk.”

“I confess that I used Molotov cocktails, but I don’t target buildings, I aim for those who were wearing military and police uniforms who were firing live shots at protesters,” Doma stated.

The Cabinet protests started Dec. 16, 2011, following the appointment of Gamal el-Ganzoury as prime minister. The clashes went on for nearly a week, leaving dozens of protesters dead and thousands injured.

The trial has been ongoing for months, and delayed to several problems such as Doma’s deteriorating health in prison, worsened by a recent hunger strike as part of a collective political resistance movement by activists inside and outside jail.

The latest medical report, on Nov. 3, by the Forensic Medicine Authority’s examination of Doma declared him in stable condition.

There have also been several disputes between Doma and his defense team with the court. One example would be a session Oct. 11, during which lawyer Osama el-Mahdy accused prosecution authorities of forging investigations and only allowed the testimony of five eye-witnesses out of 11 who were supposed to speak, Youm7 reported.

Earlier in September, the court refused Doma’s request to change judges upon claims that he was denied his rights as a defendant.

Doma was previously sentenced to 3 years in prison and fined 50,000 ($6,990) alongside Ahmed Maher, co-founder of the 6 April Youth Movement, and Mohamed Adel, co-founder and member of 6 April’s political bureau December 2013 after they were found guilty of assaulting security forces in front of the Abdeen Court and damaging private and public facilities, as they demonstrated against the 2013 Protest Law, which prohibits any public assembly without prior approval of security forces.

Additional reporting by Ahmed Ismail.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment