CAIRO: A Lawyers Syndicate statement has been referred to the attorney general because it “insulted” the court and applauded the withdrawal of the defense team in a high-profile case, Youm7 reported.
The six-member defense team withdrew Saturday from the ongoing 2011 Cabinet Protests Trial because it said the court restricted its work. The case, where activist Ahmed Doma and 268 others are charged, was adjourned to Dec. 9.
“The position of the Lawyers Syndicate is important to defend the legal profession, which is a reflection of a basic human right: the right to a fair, redressing trial that ensures the right to defense,” Hafe Abou Seda, a leading member of the National Council for Human Rights, wrote on Twitter Saturday.
Mohamed Nagy Shehata, the judge who previously sentenced three Al Jazeera journalists to prison in the controversial Marriott Cell Trial, ordered the assignment of a lawyer from the syndicate to take over the defense. However, the Lawyers Syndicate said in the statement it would punish any lawyer who accepts the case.
The judge also referred Khaled Ali, the leading lawyer of the defense team and a former presidential candidate, to the prosecution for “insulting” the court on Nov. 12. Four other members of the team have been referred to investigation at different times.