CAIRO: The Administrative Court in Cairo ruled in an urgent session Tuesday not to impose official curfew hours on Nov.28 from 8 a.m. to midnight, coinciding with protests called for by the Salafist Front, Youm7 reported.
The rejected lawsuit was filed by lawyer Atef el-Negmy, who is currently president of an independent organization called the “Arabic Defense Front” and chairman of another independent group defending journalists’ rights established in 2012 by the informal Egyptian Online Journalists’ Syndicate. (EOJS)
According to Youm7, Negmy called for immediate and arbitrary arrest of citizens who violate the curfew.
Shortly before the ruling, Maj. Hani Abdullatif, the media spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior told The CairoPost that the ministry had not tried to set curfew hours or asked for it, and “that so far there would be no such thing.”
Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim warned against participation in the demonstrations and stated that there would be a fierce response from security forces and the possible use of “live ammunition,” AL-Masry Al-Youm quoted him saying Nov.18.
Five people have already been arrested, the ministry said Monday in a security raid of Salafist members. On Nov.2, the Salafist Front called for the “restoration of the Islamic identity” through an “Islamic revolution.”
Additional reporting by Mohamed Magdy el-Sisi, Hazem Adel and Rania Amer.