Gov’t says 2 bombings foiled, 9 ‘terrorists’ killed in North Sinai
Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis - Screen shot from video of Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis
By

CAIRO: Two bombings were foiled Thursday in North Sinai after locals reported the explosives to security forces, and nine alleged terrorists were arrested in the two preceding days, Youm7 reported.

A barrel carrying half a ton of explosives was placed on a side road on a security patrol route south of Sheikh Zuwayed, and was connected to a circuit enabling assailants to detonate it from afar, the paper reported.

Another explosive device was also placed on a side road of the police route, and was detonated by authorities after it was reported by locals.

Military spokesperson Mohamed Samir said Thursday that over Tuesday and Wednesday a terrorist was killed in a gunfight with security forces, and five others were killed during raids on 13 “terrorist hubs.”

Samir said four wanted persons were arrested along with eight additional suspects, and five farms that belonged to “terrorists” were demolished.

The most recent large-scale attack by Sinai-based jihadi group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) took place in October, when coordinated attacks in the Sinai killed over 30 soldiers. Police officials have reported that the majority of assailants in the attacks have subsequently been killed in security raids.

ABM, which recently pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, released a video earlier this month calling on North Sinai’s locals to stop providing the military with information if they wished to avoid coming into conflict with the militant group.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment