‘Port Said Massacre’ retrial adjourned to Sunday
Ultras Ahlawy members commemorate the memory of victims of the 'Port Said Massacre' - YOUM7/Salah Saied
By

CAIRO: South Port Said Criminal Court adjourned Saturday the retrial of 73 defendants charged with killing 74 Al-Ahly FC fans in Port Said Stadium in February 2012 to Sunday, Youm7 reported.

The retrial, held at the Police Academy in Cairo, resumed Saturday to hear prosecution testimony. The defense team will present its case Sunday over an incident widely referred to as the “Port Said Massacre.”

On March 9, 2013, the defendants received sentences ranging from death, life imprisonment and 11 years in custody, while others were acquitted on charges of killing 74 members of the Ultras Ahlawy—a hardcore group of Ahly FC fans—during a match in Port Said against the Al-Masry home team on Feb. 1, 2012 during a game break.

Nine security heads, three officials from Masry FC and fans of the club are among the defendants.

The Court of Cassation accepted on Feb. 6, 2014 two appeals; one was filed by the attorney general’s office against the acquittals, and the other was filed by the defendants’ lawyers.

In Saturday’s court session, prosecutor Tareq al-Gamil asked the judicial panel to hand down its toughest punishment against the defendants after showing a video in which some of the defendants were recognized by prosecution witnesses.

Gamil said former Port Said Security Director Essam el-Samak, one of the defendants, had been informed that some Masry fans intended to attack Ahly fans during the match.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment