CAIRO: Two alleged militants were killed and six were arrested in possession of machine guns and grenades in Sheikh Zuwayed and Rafah Sunday in the restive North Sinai, security sources told Youm7.
A total of 25 shacks, which the police said were “terrorist hubs,” were destroyed as well, along with five motorcycles and two cars allegedly used in attacks against the police and military.
The killings and arrests were based on information received by security forces on a gathering of gunmen in a specific area. Sinai insurgents Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) released a video earlier in December calling on North Sinai’s locals to “at least” stop providing the military with information if they wished to avoid coming into conflict with the group.
ABM pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group (IS) in November and has since proclaimed itself as “Wilayat Sinai” (State of Sinai), claiming the peninsula now falls under the control of IS, which controls swathes of territory in Syria and Iraq.
The most recent large-scale attack by ABM took place in October when coordinated strikes in the Sinai killed over 30 security personnel. Police officials have reported the majority of assailants in those attacks have subsequently been killed in security raids.