Egypt follows up on Egyptians abducted in Libya
Badr Abdel Atty - YOUM7/Sami Waheeb
By

CAIRO: The Foreign Ministry closely follows up the news published in some media outlets regarding the abduction of seven Egyptian citizens in Libya, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Badr Abdel Atty said in a statement Wednesday.

Atty pointed out the ongoing coordination between the concerned bodies in Egypt and several official authorities in Libya in order to release the kidnapped Egyptian nationals, according to the statement.

“The Egyptian ambassador in Libya is in a consonant contact with officials at the Libyan government …to follow up on the incident and is currently working on securing the lives of the abducted citizens and release them,” said the statement.

Several media outlets reported that seven Egyptian Copts, currently living in Libya, were kidnapped by an Islamist militia called ‘Fagr Libya’ in Sirt city. However, Youm7 has quoted the group’s spokesperson Ismail Shoukry denying its responsibility for the incident.

Abdel Atty said that the ministry is contacting the families and relatives of the kidnapped to inform them firsthand with the developments of the situation.

In another related incident, corpses of three Egyptian Copts arrived Tuesday in Cairo after they were killed last week by unknown assailants in Libya’s city of Sirte.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry condemned the incident and assured that “such incidents will not affect relations between the two countries.”

The Egyptian embassy in Tripoli was targeted by a car bomb in November amid rising tensions and security lapse in Libya during the past few months, due to prolonged conflict between two Islamist militias.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment