BREAKING: Abducted Rafah officer found killed
ِAn Egyptian officer was abducted in North Sina - YOUM7

CAIRO: Captain Ayman el-Desouki’s dead body was found in Rafah Tuesday, after he had been abducted by militants Sunday, according to military spokesperson Mohamed Samir.

Ten “terrorists” have been killed in a large campaign to locate Desouki’s whereabouts since his abduction, according to Samir’s Tuesday statement on Facebook.

Special Forces supported by armored vehicles, tanks and Hummers had been combing Rafah and Sheikh Zuwayed after the incident, Youm7 reported.

Militants in North Sinai, who mostly belong to Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM,) have recorded their operations killing security personnel in cold blood, but did not attempt to abduct officers before Sunday. ABM pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in November, and has since self-proclaimed itself as Wilayat Sinai (The State of Sinai.)

Desouki and several other officers had been waiting in Rafah for about six days to head back to their homes in other governorates via sea, but bad weather conditions did not improve, the General Coalition of Police Officers (GCPO) reported witnesses to the abduction saying Sunday on its Facbeook page.

“Wait for videos to be released by Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, who call themselves Wilayat Sinai, to brag about this ‘successful’ operation, in their standards,” GCPO said, adding that the incident is a result of “leaders’ lack of awareness” and issuing instructions to travel on an unsecured road due to high sea waves.

Desouki, who graduated in 2005, according to GCPO, works at the Ports Security that administers the Rafah border crossing.

GCPO called for holding responsible the head of the Authority of Ports Security and all police chiefs who decided that the officer move without security.

The officers traveled in two vehicles; a cab and a private car, and the militants had machineguns and a video camera, according to witnesses.

The Bedouin driver of the cab told them the passengers were employees at the Rafah border crossing, and were allowed to leave. The driver of the private car, which was boarded by three officers, produced a card that proves he was a customs employee. The second officer said he lost his ID and that he was a customs employee as well.

Desouki, on the other hand, produced his ID that said he was an officer. The private car was allowed to leave, and Desouki was abducted.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment