CAIRO: The decapitated body of a man was reportedly found in Gura Village, south of Sheikh Zuwayed City, in North Sinai, Youm7 reported Thursday.
A security source said the victim was Mohamed Ali, and that he was abducted a few days ago by the Sinai-based group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM.)
The bodies of two other decapitated men were found shortly after in the same city.
ABM previously released videos of beheading Sinai Bedouins, claiming they collaborated with Israel. The video resembles the execution style adopted by the Islamic State group. ABM promised allegiance to ISIS in November 2014, in order to obey the group’s orders and to be their branch in Egypt.
Since the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013, ABM attacked military and police forces in North Sinai; however, the group also launched executions against civilians on grounds of accusing them of aiding the army with information.
Twitter accounts affiliated with the jihadist group released a video Monday showing the abduction and execution of a police officer.
Youm7 said in a Thursday report that the group has two ways of execution, shooting and beheading, and that they kidnap the victims and investigate them in secret places before the execution.
The report listed 19 beheadings carried out by ABM from 2013 to 2015, including nine in 2014 and eight so far this year.
Relatedly, heightened security campaigns are being carried out in North Sinai; where a buffer zone is under establishment on the Rafah-Gaza border in search for smuggling tunnels under residents’ houses. The campaign has uncovered hundreds of tunnels so far and compensated the residents who were evacuated from their homes.
Additional reporting by El-Sayed Falah.