Update: Fire between security, ‘terrorists’ ongoing, 29 killed in North Sinai
One of the explosions in Arish Thursday - Youm7
By

CAIRO: An exchange of fire is ongoing in Arish, North Sinai, between security forces and “terrorists” who used mortar shells and car bombs in their attacks, military spokesperson Mohamed Samir said in a brief Thursday statement.

At least 29 people were killed and 36 were injured in a series of attacks in ArishThursday evening, an official source told Youm7, adding that the victims include civilians.

The undersecretary of the Ministry of Health in North Sinai told Mehwar TV earlier that at least 20 soldiers were killed in the attacks.

A series of attacks hit the areaThursday night, as rocket-propelled grenades struck several stations, a security source in the governorate told Youm7. Sky News reported that a car bomb was involved in the aggression.

Apache helicopters are combing the area to detect perpetrators, and power has been cut off in certain areas in Arish, according to Mehwar TV.

The most recent wide-scale operation by Sinai-based Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) was in October, where over 30 soldiers were killed in a car bomb attack followed heavy fire by ABM militants.

In November, ABM pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment