Egypt’s KFC restaurants targeted by bomb attacks
YOUM7
By

CAIRO: Among the daily news reports on violence hitting the streets across Egypt, branches of the American fast-food restaurant Kentucky Fried Chicken in different governorates have been an unlikely, yet repeated, target by assailants.

Early Sunday, one of three blasts that took place in Helwan, south of Cairo, targeted a KFC on Rayl Street, causing huge damage to the façade of the restaurant and that of the adjacent building.

 

 KFC’s façade damaged

1 (8)

Nearby buildings affected

1 (10)

 

On Feb. 5, 18-yr old Poula Mansour, who was working at a KFC in Menoufia, north to Cairo, was burnt to death after unknown assailants set fire to the restaurant.

He was on the second floor of the restaurant when the fire broke out and he was unable to escape, his father Mansour told Mehwar TV Channel in a phone call.

“Poula was working to help with family expenses and pay for my medical treatment,” his father added.

The perpetrators of the accident remain unknown; officials have announced investigations are being carried out to reveal their identities.

Many have condemned the arson and death of Poula on social media, with many drawing comparisons between his murder and the killing of Jordanian pilot Muath el- Kaseasbeh by the Islamic State group.

Minister of Endowment Mokhtar Gomaa told Dream TV that “there is no difference between the burning of the Egyptian boy…, and the burning of the Jordanian citizen Muath el- Kaseasbeh.”

Picture of Muath

Moaz al-Kaseasbeh - Photo cortesy of @baghdadia_4 Twitter account

Moaz al-Kaseasbeh – Photo cortesy of @baghdadia_4 Twitter account

 

In the wake of violence witnessed during the fourth anniversary of the January 25 Revolution, a KFC branch in Haram Street was torched during a protest on Jan. 27.

A newly established group called the “Giza Popular Resistance” claimed responsibility for attack against the Haram branch of KFC.

The group is among few new groups like “Revolutionary Punishment,” that threatened in a message broadcast Jan. 29 that it would launch attacks against any government supporters, foreign nationals and companies in Egypt, if they did not leave before Feb.11. The group previously posted a video of its members torching the car of a police officer in Alexandria in late January.

The threats were condemned by the United States, which assured its support to Egypt in its fight against terrorism.

The Egyptian government has repeatedly announced capturing assailants amid an intensive campaign to end violence in the streets.

Additional reporting by Karim Sobhy and Abdel Rahman Sayed

 

 

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment