CAIRO: Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab said that the Premier League will be resumed within two weeks but without the attendance of audience, Youm7 reported Friday.
Egypt’s cabinet suspended the league on Monday in the wake of the Air Defense Stadium violence that killed at least 22 of the Cairo-based Zamalek FC while trying to enter the stadium to watch their team’s fixture against Enppi.
“The Premier League will be back soon as it affects a huge number of the Egyptian people,” said Mahalb in an interview with Dubai TV channel Thursday.
Mahlab added he will hold a meeting with members of the Egyptian Football Association and ministers of interior and health to announce the resumption of the Premier League games which will be in two weeks.
Following the incident, the Ministry of Interior said in a statement that the fans died after police forces fired tear gas causing a stampede when hundreds tried to force their way into the stadium without holding tickets.
Forensic Department spokesperson Hesham Abdel Hamid said in a statement Thursday that all of the football fans have died from injuries sustained in a stampede and he denied allegations that any of the deceased had been shot with birdshot or live ammunition.