CAIRO: The Journalists’ Syndicate opened the door Saturday to candidacy for its mid-term elections scheduled for March 6, Youm7 reported Saturday.
“So far, the supervising committee of Journalists’ Syndicate elections has received two candidacy applications for the syndicate’s presidency and 24 for its membership, head of the committee Gamal Abdel Reheim said in a news conference Saturday.
Yehia Kallash and Al Sayed Mohamed Ibrahim, who both work for state-run daily Al-Gomhuria, have already filed their candidacy applications to run for the syndicate’s presidency, said Abdel Reheim.
The last date for filing the candidacy applications for a new chairman and six new board members is Feb. 18, said Abdel Reheim, adding that the committee plans to hold a meeting on Feb. 18 to announce the final list of candidates for the elections.
A judicial panel of the State Council has been approved to oversee the electoral process in which over 6,000 journalists registered in the syndicate, will vote.
The election is demanding at least the presence of 1,600 journalists, representing the quarter of journalists syndicate’s members, according to Abdel Reheim.
The syndicate’s current board of members was elected in March 2013 for a four year-term. Upon his nomination as chairman of the syndicate in 2013, Diaa Rashwan, also the head of the Al Ahram Center for Political and Strategic studies, pledged to “restore the union from the hands of the ruling regime.”