CAIRO: “My son left to Libya year and a half ago shortly after his marriage, he even never had the chance to see his first daughter. He left to find a job, along with his cousin, and we never saw them again,” the father of Luke Nagati, who was murdered by the Islamic State group, told Youm7 Monday.
A video published Sunday confirmed the mass execution by beheading of 21 Egyptians in Libya; photos of the men had been circulated days before of them being forced to march on a beach in orange jumpsuits, which other IS prisoners have been forced to wear before execution. The men, all Coptic Christians, had been kidnapped in early January from Sirte, Libya, where they had traveled to work.
Three among those murdered had traveled together to Libya through the Sallum border crossing: 40-year-old father of three Maged Soliman, Abanoub Ayad, 22, and Shoukry Yonan, 22.
Abanoub “was our only source of living. We were depending on him for everything,” his father told Youm7.
Hany Salieb, 35, and Yousef Tawadros, 43, were both married and had 3 and 4 children respectively.
Brothers Bishoy and Samuel Stephenious decided to travel together to Libya a year ago, escaping from poverty after a long time searching for a job with a living wage, Youm7 reported.
Most of the victims were seeking a better standard of living for them and their families. Among those murdered were Mena Fayz Aziz, 23; Salah Shawky, 26; Samuel Wilson, 35, married and a father of 3 children; Milad Zaki, Kirilious Fawzy, Malak Ibrahim and Georges Senyos were also identified among the murdered.
Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab ordered Monday that the state provide the family of each victim with compensation up to 100,000 EGP ($13,100,) along with a monthly pension.