CAIRO: A 7-year-old girl was killed and her 9-year-old sister injured after a bomb shell fell on their house in South Rafah in North Sinai, Youm7 reported Friday.
The source of the shell is yet unidentified by the military officials.
A medical source in North Sinai told Youm7 that the Rafah Hospital received Friday the dead body for a girl called Nada Soliman. Her sister Ahlam was also transferred to the hospital after she was wounded by shrapnel in her left arm.
An intensive joint security campaign between the police and the army is taking place in the troubled Northern Sinai Peninsula, a hotbed for extremists and radical Islamist groups.
At its peak, the security campaign has intensified efforts to face a wave of extremism in North Sinai, launching attacks and killing hundreds of the police and the army.
Late on Friday, security sources in North Sinai announced that the operations that were carried out in different districts in Southern of Sheikh Zuwayed throughout the day resulted in 13 militants killed and 12 other suspects arrested.
The army declared the campaign has uncovered hundreds of hidden smuggling tunnels on the Rafah-Gaza borderline since a 1 km-wide buffer zone was established in this area in November 2014.
The security campaign escalated following an October attack in Arish that killed dozens of soldiers; Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) announced its responsibility of the attack.
The group, which pledged its allegiance to the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS) group in late 2014, has heightened its attacks against the army since the ouster of President Mohamed Morsi in July 3, 2013. The last of these attacks was on Jan. 29 with at least 40 deaths from among soldiers and civilians.
Now calling itself “Wilayat Sinai,” or “the State of Sinai,” ABM has previously released videos of beheadings of captured Bedouins and Sinai residents, whom the group accused of collaborating with Israel or informing on the group to the army.
Ahead of the economic summit, Minister of Finance Hany Qadry told CNN that the military operation in Sinai occurs far from Sharm el-Sheikh city in South Sinai, which will host the coming summit in March 2015.
The government announced an intensified security plan in South Sinai as part of preparations for the hosting of the summit.