Hamas: Fatah incites against us in Egyptian media
Senior Hamas leader and Former Palestinian prime minister Ismail Haniya - AFP/Mahmoud Hams
By

CAIRO: Hamas accused Fatah, the Palestinian authority in Ramallah, of “inciting” against them in Egyptian media with “fabricated reports” Tuesday.

Hamas was designated by the Egyptian Court of Urgent Matters as a terrorist organization last week, and accused of assisting with a prison break from the Wadi al-Natroun prison during the January 25 Revolution in 2011, as well as association with the Muslim Brotherhood.

“Fabricated reports include false and inciting information on an alleged role of Hamas Movement in the Egyptian arena and such reports were actually published in Egyptian media,” wrote Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zuhri said in the Facebook statement, without giving further details of the reports.

Hamas met with representative of the Islamic Jihad Movement in Palestine (PIJ), the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), and the Palestinian People’s Party (PPP), talking about such “fabricated reports,” Abu Zuhri added.

Egyptian media and military statements have long associated Hamas with militant movements in the Sinai responsible for attacks against soldiers.

Hamas Political Bureau chief Ismail Hanyia said that the movement is in contact with the Egyptian authorities to discuss the repercussions of Egypt’s court ruling of blacklisting the organization, Anadolu News Agency reported Tuesday.

PIJ delegation in Egypt

PIJ Secretary General Ramadan Abdullah Shallah and his deputy arrived in Cairo Saturday to discuss a solution between Hamas and Egypt following the court ruling, Youm7 reported.

The delegation met also with Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Araby and league officials to discuss the means of reopening the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza Strip and mandate its control to the Palestinian Authority.

The crossing was closed after an attack targeting military personnel in October 2014 killed more than 30 military soldiers .

However, it was temporarily reopened twice to facilitate the entry for the Palestinians stranded at the crossing in the both sides in November and December.

Additional reporting by Ahmed Gomaa

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment