CAIRO: Ten persons suspected to be affiliated with Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis were killed Friday during a military operation in Sinai, Youm7 reported.
Security sources told Youm7 that the operation took place in cooperation with police forces targeting a number of suspected bases of the “takfiri,” or hard-line Islamist, groups based in Sinai.
Eyewitnesses said that a civilian house was targeted by a shell in Sheikh Zuwayed Friday night killing a woman and two children.
Another 8-year-old child was reported to be badly injured due to when an IED exploded in Arish.
Military spokesperson Mohamed Samir announced earlier in February that 173 alleged terrorists had been killed in separate attacks during the month.
The statement published on Samir’s Facebook page stated that 16 of the “terrorists” were killed in Arish City, another 13 were arrested in it including two Palestinians, and that the army had destroyed 22 “terrorist” bases.