CAIRO: Some 380 Egyptians have been evacuated so far from Yemen since security turmoil hit the country, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Badr Abdel Atty said in a Sunday statement.
Saudi Arabia and Oman recently opened their borders with Yemen to help trapped Egyptians flee the security turbulence in the country; Egyptians cross into Saudi and Omani soil, and then return back to their home country via air.
Since the recent escalation of the crisis in Yemen, Egypt announced coordination with Saudi and Omani authorities as well as Egyptian embassies in both countries to facilitate the return of the Egyptians on board flights operated by state-owned Egypt Air Company or other countries’ planes.
Some 150 Egyptians arrived in Cairo via air from both Oman and Saudi Arabia, an official source at the Ministry of Civil Aviation told Youm7 Sunday.
Egypt-Yemen direct flights were halted weeks ago due to the deteriorating security situation.
Abdel Atty said that 60 Egyptians were evacuated via sea from the port of Aden to Dijibouti Port, where the Egyptian embassy is working to facilitate repatriation to Egypt. Eleven others were carried via air from Sanaa on board of other countries’ flights.
Ongoing Saudi-led military operation Resolute Storm is taking place in Yemen against the Shiite Houthi fighters, which took over the capital of Sanaa in January.
On Sunday, Reuters quoted residents saying that warplanes from the Resolute Storm coalition bombed Yemen’s Capital Sanaa overnight on the eleventh day in the military operation.
Additional reporting by Mohamed Tantawy, Rehab Nabil and Amal Raslan.