CAIRO: More than 5,000 Yemeni nationals have been stranded in Egypt due to difficulty to return back to their country amid the ongoing military operation, a source at the Yemeni Embassy in Cairo told Youm7 Wednesday.
Most of the trapped Yemenis are elderly people and families, the source said, adding that the embassy is unable to accommodate the large numbers flocking daily to it.
There are discussions between the embassy and other international organizations, including the International Organization for Migration and the United Nations office in Cairo to find a means to secure safe passage via land, air or sea.
Egypt-Yemen direct flights were halted weeks ago due to the deteriorating security situation.
Earlier this month, Egyptians expats in Yemen were able to return to Egypt per an exit plan by the Foreign Ministry via Oman, Saudi Arabia and Dijibouti through specific border crossings.
On Wednesday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that over 1,000 Egyptians have been evacuated since the crisis began in Yemen.
Egypt is participating in the ongoing Saudi-led military campaign against Houthi fighters in Yemen that was launched March 26 after the Houthis made significant advances into the southern part of the country.
Additional reporting by Youssef Ayoub, Mahmoud Othman and Rehab Nabil