18 militants killed in an airstrike in Sinai
Sinai - AP
By

CAIRO: Eighteen militants were killed in army raids in North Sinai’s cities of Sheikh Zuwayed and Rafah Thursday, a security source told Youm7.

The source said that 15, out of the 18 militants, were killed during an airstrike launched by the military forces adding that the other three militants were killed in ground operation.

The forces also blown up a farm, three vehicles and two motorbikes, believed to have been used in terrorist attacks.

The source added that the security forces observed the militants’ movements with the possession of heavy weapons; they were also caught while trying to plant mines south of Rafah, according to Youm7.

Since the ouster of the Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 3, 2013, numerous attacks were launched against military and police forces in the peninsula and, as a result, hundreds of security personnel were killed.

Since then, an intensive security crackdown was launched by the military in the Sinai.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment