CAIRO: A number of metro workers went on strike Monday against the operating authority after one of their colleagues was injured in a crash Sunday, and called for improved maintenance in the metro cars for their safety.
Metro driver Ahmed Hamza was injured after a train he was operating crashed into a barrier in the third line of the metro- Attaba-Heliopolis Sunday; since then metro movement stopped on the line although the head of Company of Metro Management and Operation Ali Fadali announced that it would operate Monday, Youm7 reported.
Workers demonstrated in Abbassiya station against the company, which blamed the driver for the accident. The demonstrators said that the company rejected their demands to perform maintenance in the metro cars of the third line.
Officials in Metro administration said Sunday that the train had a malfunction for a month; however, it took off from maintenance workshop without working brakes, Youm7 reported.
The driver left the driving car when he realized that there were no brakes and ran into the first car when the train speed reached 100 km/h, the anonymous official added.
The establishment of the third line of the metro began in 2007 in four stages; the first one which includes five stations was inaugurated in 2012, while the second stage of nine stations was opened for the passengers in 2014. The third stage that will include four more stations is under construction, according to the National Authority of Tunnels (NAT) of the Ministry of Transportation.
On April 16, Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab inaugurated the digging of fourth and last stages of the third line for more five stations.
“I had to cancel my meeting in the Syndicate of Applicators in Abbassiya due to the metro accident and I could not make it because there is no alternative way for me,” Israa Fouad, a Persian translator, told The Cairo Post Monday. Traffic jams from disrupted commuters also developed around the affected stations.