Urgent Matters Panel recuses itself from case to ban football Ultras 
Ultras White Knights clash with security forces -YOUM7/Hazem Abdel Samad
By

CAIRO: A Cairo Court for Urgent Matters panel recused itself Monday from considering a lawsuit calling for dissolution of the football fan group Ultras which would ban their activities, Youm7 reported.

The court said it has no legal authority to consider such cases although it has previously banned activities of the 6th of April Movement activities, Palestinian Hamas’ activities in Egypt, and Muslim Brotherhood operations as well.

Lawyer Ashraf Farahat filed in February a lawsuit calling for the dissolution of all Ultras groups and their activities, accusing them of inciting violence inside and outside soccer stadiums and burning the Egyptian Football Association headquarters, and burning a police officers’ club.

In a previous ruling in September 2014, the court recused itself from considering another case filed by Zamalek Sporting Club President to dissolve the club Ultras group. The club president’s name is subject to a publication ban in media upon a statement from the Syndicate of Journalists after he threatened to withdraw the membership from the club of any journalist who created coverage he disagreed with.

In January 2015, the court also said it has no legal authority to see another lawsuit filed by the Club president calling for designation the Ultras as a terrorist groups.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment