Italy says 3,700 boat migrants rescued, operations ongoing
Italian Coast Guard personnel recover a body bag on their patrol boat in Lampedusa island, Italy, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013. Italian divers have recovered more bodies from the wreck of a smuggler's ship that sank off the tiny island of Lampedusa, raising the death toll to 250. Coast Guard Commander Filippo Marini said 18 bodies were recovered Tuesday from within the ship's hold, while one was spotted by a helicopter floating nearby the wreck. Marini said the search would continue as long as weather allows. Just 155 migrants, most if not all from Eritrea, survived last Thursday's shipwreck. Survivors said there were some 500 people on board when the ship capsized and sank in sight of land. A disproportionate number of the dead are women: So far the bodies of 75 women have been recovered, while only six of the survivors were female. Seven of the dead are children. AP/Francesco Malavolta
By

ROME: Nearly 3,700 migrants were rescued from boats near the coast ofLibya on Saturday and early Sunday and more rescue operations were expected during the day as people smugglers took advantage of calm seas, Italy’s coast guard said.

All of those rescued were being brought back to Italian shores, a spokesman for the coast guard said, and some reached Lampedusa, Italy’s southernmost island, during the night.

The nationalities of those rescued had not yet been determined, he said.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment