CAIRO: An army officer and three conscripts were injured Sunday after a roadside bomb went off nearby their tank while inspecting areas in Egypt’s restive Sinai, security sources told Youm7.
The bomb was remotely detonated by unidentified assailants at al-Taweel area in North Sinai’s town of Sheikh Zuwayed, the source said, adding that the officer and the injured conscripts were immediately transferred to the Arish military hospital for treatment.
“Security forces cordoned the blast scene in a hunt for perpetrators while a bomb squad rushed to the scene in search for other potential idle bombs,” the source added.
Authorities in question were notified to investigate the incident while, according to the source, there is no claim of responsibility for the attack so far.
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.
The Sinai-based Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) militant group has claimed responsibility for several attacks on security forces mainly in Sinai. The group pledged allegiance to Islamic State (IS) group before it changed its name to Wilayat Sinai (Sinai Province) in 2014.