CAIRO: Two police conscripts were killed and another was injured late Friday in a drive-by shooting in North Sinai’s capital city of Arish, medical sources told Youm7.
Corpses of the conscripts, who died of their wounds, were transferred to their hometowns in Egypt’s Delta governorate of Beheira, the source said, adding that the injured conscript has been hospitalized in the Arish military hospital.
Security officials say the conscripts died after unidentified armed men opened fire on a group of security personnel while walking in the city’s western district of Massayed.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
The incident occurred hours after the Military Spokesperson Mohamed Samir announced the security forces had killed 16 suspects, allegedly of the group, in two military operations in North Sinai.
According to a Saturday statement on Samir’s Facebook page, security forces have killed 725 “terrorists” during the past six months.
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.
The Sinai-based Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM) militant group has claimed responsibility for several attacks on security forces mainly in Sinai. The group pledged allegiance to Islamic State (IS) group before it changed its name to Wilayat Sinai (Sinai Province) in 2014.