Electricity Ministry, NileSat deny responsibility for Maspero’s power failure
Maspero headquarter - YOUM7 (Archive)
By

CAIRO: An internal technical glitch was the reason behind the Maspero’s half-hour power cut Saturday, Ministry of electricity said in a statement Saturday, denying any responsibility for the state TV’s temporary failure.

Once Maspero’s channels were back on air, Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab told the Egyptian Satellite Channel that Maspero is a part of Egypt’s national security, adding that a committee will be formed to investigate the incident and “those behind it.”

He apologized to Egyptians for the outage, emphasizing that the incident “will not go unheeded.”

Power supply was cut off to the iconic building of Maspero, which lies on the Nile Corniche in Cairo, rather than any technical issues related to the NileSat , an official source at the company told Youm7.

Minister of Electricity Mohamed Shaker cut his visit to Saudi Arabia short and returned to Egypt to follow up on the issue in person, was after he was tasked with submitting a detailed report about Maspero’s outage to Mahlab.

Last month, seven improvised bombs went off at the main transmission towers feeding the Egyptian Media Production City, leading to an hours-long outage of several Nile Sat channels.

TV channels including CBC, Dream and Cairo Centric went off air through the night of April 13.

Egypt’s electricity pylons have come under frequent attacks since the 2013 ouster of President Mohamed Morsi.

Egypt suffers a pressing energy shortage with frequent blackouts, particularly during the summer.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment