CAIRO: Egyptian Defense Minister Sedki Sobhi praised the cooperation between military and police forces in terms of facing terrorist groups in Sinai, while he was inspecting security campuses in Northern Sinai Wednesday, Youm 7 reported.
“Both forces did a good job in the previous months facing terrorist groups and chasing their hot beds, but we should keep developing our strategy and prevent terrorists from attacking our check points and camps,” he said.
Interior Minister Magdy Abdel Ghaffar joined Sobhi while he was checking the camps.
Militants based in the northern tip of the peninsula have launched numerous attacks on military personnel and services since the 2013 ouster of President Mohamed Morsi. The attacks have killed hundreds of soldiers as well as left victims among civilians.
Some 30 personnel were killed in a deadly attack in October 2014, prompting the army to intensify efforts to curb the expansion of the insurgency, of which some groups have claimed allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group.
President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi announced Tuesday in a televised address that in April, 600 fugitive terrorists were arrested upon warrants form the prosecution, and the military spokesperson Mohamed Samir announced last week that the army had killed 725 “terrorist” elements in confrontations with personnel in North Sinai within the past six months.
“The army has destroyed 1,823 hotbeds, 591 vehicles without metal licenses and 1,447 motorcycles that belong to extremist elements,” Samir said in a Facebook post.