CAIRO: An Editor-in-Chief of an Egyptian newspaper has been charged with disturbing public order and security after publishing “false news” on assassinating a number of Judges, Youm7 reported.
Attorney-General Hisham Barakat referred Monday el-Bayan Editor-in-Chief Ibrahim Aref to a criminal court, after Aref was previously bailed following a week-long investigation.
On May 18, the print issue of the newspaper reported that 6 prosecutors were assassinated on the Suez-Cairo road amid media blackout; Aref was arrested the same day at the newspaper headquarters in Giza’s Dokki district.
Aref denied he knew about the news, saying that one of his reporters published the story without his permission.
The police’s enquiry report stated that Aref was notified about the removed story, the prosecution said.
Head of Journalists’ Syndicate Yehya al-Qallash said Tuesday detention of Aref violates the media law and contradicts the syndicate‘s executive regulations, adding that “the arrest of Aref is illegal” because the syndicate was not notified beforehand.
The syndicate’s legal advisor Sayyed Abu Zeid said the media law stipulates that a journalist charged with a publishing crime may not be held in remand.