Inmate electrocuted by AC cable due to security ‘negligence’: relative 
Prison
By

CAIRO: A detainee died Tuesday at a Giza police station after touching an air conditioner’s low-hanging cable in his cell, his relative Mahmoud Sayed told Youm7.

Sayed denied the account of security official’s that Fathy Mohamed died of a sudden “health disorder” while being transferred to a hospital. Sayed accused Imbaba police station of ‘negligence’ that caused his relative’s death.

According to Youm7, a security source said Tuesday that Mohamed suffers from cancer and that he died before arriving at the hospital. Mohamed, 30, was arrested four days ago over five drug cases.

Poor conditions at police stations have raised concerns after a number of inmates have died due to overcrowded cells the spread of diseases among detainees.

In April, two inmates died at a Cairo police station in similar circumstances. Police stations have turned into de-facto prisons due to receiving on remand-detainees that may have their detention extended by 15-45 days.

In August 2014, Cairo Security Directorate announced it started installing air conditioners and water coolers inside detention rooms after a number of suspects died of suffocation.

Additional reporting by Mahmoud Abdel Rady and Wael Mohamed.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment