CAIRO: Egypt decided to extend opening its Rafah border crossing for an additional day, official at the crossing said Wednesday.
Up to Tuesday evening, 564 Palestinians crossed to Gaza, while 1,087 tons of construction materials entered to the strip, the official told Youm7.
Following negotiations with the Egyptian authorities, the crossing was reopened in one direction, from Egypt to Gaza on Tuesday and Wednesday to allow stranded Palestinians go back their home and the humanitarian aid enter into Gaza strip, Palestinian embassy to Cairo said in a statement Sunday.
In October, 25 Egyptian policemen were killed when suspected militants ambushed a personnel vehicle in North Sinai’s city of Rafah.
The attack was followed by a crackdown on militants in Sinai, closed the borders with Gaza and created a buffer to destroy tunnels used for smuggling, arms, goods and persons to and from the Gaza strip.
Hamas took control over Gaza strip in 2007 following violent clashes with its rival Fatah, which represents the Palestinian National Authority; an Israeli blockade has been enforced over the strip since then, as well as Egyptian restrictions over long-term opening of the Rafah crossing.