CAIRO: Six “terrorists” have been killed in air strikes launched by the Egyptian army in North Sinai Wednesday, security source told Youm7.
The strikes come in the framework of the magnified security campaign taking place in the peninsula to combat the expansion of the Sinai-based extremists who have killed hundreds of Egyptian soldiers in numerous attacks.
Security forces have arrested 15 suspects, demolished four “terrorist” hotbeds and detonated four explosive devices planted in North Sinai’s cities of Arish, Rafah and Sheikh Zuwayed security sourced told Youm7.
Some 42 detainees were released after authorities assured they are not involved in violence committed against civilians, police or army forces.
A Wednesday attack has killed a police officer and injured at least four soldiers after their armored vehicle ran over three road bombs. Preliminary investigations suggested the involvement of the militant group Sinai Province, formerly known as Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis (ABM,) Youm7 quoted security sources as saying.
Earlier this week, a communiqué was distributed by the militant group among North Sinai Bedouins warning them against “using tractors or heavy equipments to avoid running over planted explosives.”
The group pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group in November 2014. It has claimed responsibility for most of the attacks on the army and police in North Sinai, and has killed several Bedouins for their alleged cooperation with the military or Israel.
In the ongoing “war against terrorism” in Sinai, dozens of tribes announced they are uniting to assist the army in its fight.