TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — The latest news from an attack on a beach resort in Tunisia (all times local):
Tunisia’s Prime Minister says an initial investigation shows the gunman who killed at least 39 people at a beach resort was from a village in a poor central region of Tunisia and had never traveled abroad.
Habib Essid said Seifeddine Rezgui, who was killed by police after the attack Friday in Sousse, was not previously known by authorities. He said he came from the town of Gaafour in the governorate of Siliana and had been a student at Kairouan university.
The Islamic State group has claimed credit for the attack, identifying the gunman by his jihadi pseudonym Abu Yahya al-Qayrawani, the SITE Intelligence Group has reported.
The attack was one of three from Europe to North Africa to the Middle East that followed a call to violence by IS extremists.
According to the prime minister, the victims included many Britons, as well as Germans, Belgian and French.
The morning after a lone gunman killed at least 39 people at a beach resort in Tunisia, busloads of tourists are heading to the nearby Enfidha-Hammamet airport hoping to return to their home countries.
The attack in the Tunisian resort of Sousse was the worst ever in the country and came just months after the March 18 massacre at the national Bardo museum in Tunis that left 22 people dead, again mostly tourists. It is expected to deal a heavy blow to the country’s tourism industry, which accounts for nearly 15 percent if Tunisia’s gross domestic product.
British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said a high proportion of the casualties is likely to be British and U.K. tour operator Thomas Cook was among the travel agents that started evacuating its customers from Tunisia Saturday.
It said on Twitter it has arranged an additional plane to depart from Tunisia to fly home anyone wishing to leave.