CAIRO: Six people, mostly guards, were critically injured in a car bomb attack that killed Attorney-General Hisham Barakt Monday in Cairo, medical sources told Youm7.
A car bomb parked on the side of a road detonated once Barakat’s convoy Heliopolis district approached; Barakat was left with injuries to the lungs and abdomen, a dislocated shoulder, fractured facial bones and a nose injury, Youm7 quoted a medical source. Bypassers were caught on camera trying to revive Barakat.
Earlier on Monday, Sinai Province, the Islamic State group’s affiliate in Egypt, posted a video of the May assassination of three judges and their driver in Arish, North Sinai.
Both Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab and Minister of Health Adel el-Adawy cut their visit to Aswan short and returned to Cairo after they learned the news.
Barakat was transferred from Nozha Hospital in Heliopolis to Maadi’s Military Hospital, shortly after doctors checked his injuries.
“It was literally a huge explosion,” an eye-witness told ONTV correspondent at the blast site.
Buildings near the bombing site were damaged and at least eight cars were destroyed, according to news reports.
Shortly after the attack, a group that proclaims itself as “Giza Popular Resistance” claimed responsibility on its Facebook page; however, the page was removed from Facebook a few hours later. The group’s Facebook pages have repeatedly been removed and recreated in the past months.
Experts raised speculations that the route and timing of the convoy were leaked.
In September 2013, then-Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim survived a car bomb attack similar to that of Barakat’s.