CAIRO: Three Egyptian army personnel were killed and four others were injured Saturday in an attack against two military checkpoints in North Sinai’s town of Sheikh Zuwayed Sunday, military spokesperson Mohamed Samir said in a statement.
Suspected militants exchanged fire with security personnel before they shelled the checkpoint with mortars, live ammunition and bombs, Samir Said.
The Sinai Province group, an affiliate of the Islamic State (IS,) claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted by its supporters on social media. .
Egyptian security forces have been engaged in simultaneous battles in al-Douma, al-Mahdya and al-Zawaraa areas south of Sheikh Zuwayed Saturday, Youm7 reported.
According to Samir, the army destroyed two land cruisers and killed the militants inside it in Al-Hamdeya area south of Sheikh Zuwayed.
At least 14 suspected militants were killed in the North Sinai towns of Sheikh Zuwayed and Arish early Saturday, according to Samir.
Sinai Province, known as Ansar Bayt al-Madis before pledging allegiance to IS last year, has claimed responsibility for several attacks on military checkpoints and institutions.
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule.