CAIRO: A sister of famed Egyptian actor Khaled Abol Naga died Monday of smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in her apartment while she reportedly was attempting to rescue her cats, according to the actor’s Facebook page.
Salwa Abol Naga, 62, was rescued from the fire before she went back in to save her pets. She reportedly managed to save some of them, but others died. The fire started in the balcony, but in apparent attempt to put out the fire, she opened the door of the balcony, letting the fire extend into her Cairo apartment.
Her brother Khaled, 48, wrote in his blog that “death kidnapped Salwa,” but went on to say that “depression, sadness, and regret” kidnap people.
Khaled said his sister was a committed athlete and a basketball and handball player.