16 Egyptian fishermen arrested in Libya; syndicate demands their release
Egyptian fishermen - YOUM7 (Archive)
By

CAIRO: Fishermen Syndicate’s head Ahmed Nassar called on Ministry of Foreign Affairs for “rapid intervention” to release a seized Egyptian fishing boat and its crew, who were arrested by Libyan authorities Thursday.

Egyptian fishing boat called “Abu Hanaa” was stopped by Libyan coast guards over “illegal fishing in Libyan waters without prior license,” Youm7 quoted a Libyan news agency.

A total of 16 fishermen, who were on board of the seized boat, were referred to investigations in Libya.

This sort of arrests is not the first time; some 101 fishermen who were detained in Sudan since April, and were facing trial over allegedly “trespassing into Sudanese waters,” were released Wednesday.

The former head of the fishing syndicate, Naseem Badr el-Din, told The Cairo Post in a previous interview that the fishermen who were arrested in Sudan were “wrongly detained” and that they were captured in international waters on their way to Eritrea.

A total of 32 Egyptian fishermen are being held by Tunisian and Libyan coast guards over crossing into territorial waters of both countries.

Syndicate Head Nassar previously told The Cairo Post that the fishermen who were captured in Tunisia “mistakenly entered Tunisian waters after a malfunction in their navigation devices.”

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment