CAIRO: Ten people, suspected of carrying out the recent armed attack on the embassy of Niger in Cairo, were arrested, Interior Ministry said in a statement Sunday.
The outlaws admitted carrying out the attack, joining a terrorist group named “Muslim Revolts” and embracing the jihadist ideology of the Islamic Group (IS,) according to the statement.
On July 29, three armed men in a private car opened fire randomly on the security guards outside Niger’s embassy in al-Haram district before they fled the scene; a police conscript was killed and three others injured, according to an Interior Ministry statement.
“Attacking Niger embassy was the first step to announce the existence of IS supporters in Egypt,” said one of the arrested elements in a video published on the ministry’s Facebook page.
Moreover, the statement also stated killing five people allegedly affiliated with the banned-Muslim Brotherhood group Thursday in a fire exchange with police forces raided their “hotbed” in Fayoum city, southwest of Cairo, Youm7 reported.
On Aug. 3, a 4-year-old girl accidentally died in hail of bullets after masked gunmen reportedly pulled up in a motor-cycle and opened fire at her father’s car in the Cairo-Fayoum desert road near Maymana village, in an assassination attempt originally targeted her father; Sherif Samy, a senior policeman, Youm7 reported.
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.
Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, which claimed responsibility for several attacks on military checkpoints and institutions, changed its name to Wilayat Sinai (Sinai Province) after pledging allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group last November.