7 ‘Port Said stadium massacre’ defendants to receive final verdict Aug 23
Port Said stadium massacre trial - YOUM7
By

CAIRO: Port Said Criminal Court has set August 23 to issue its final verdict for seven defendants in the case known in media as “Port Said Stadium massacre,” in which 74 football fans were killed in 2012, Youm7 reported Sunday.

The seven defendants previously received verdicts in absentia; they are now standing retrial after they were arrested.

The case includes a total of 73 defendants; the court upheld death sentences against 11 of them in June.

Ten defendants received 15-year sentences, 13 received 10-year sentences, while 15 include former head of Port Said security directorate – received five-year sentences. The court acquitted 21 others.

The prosecution accused the defendants of a number of charges, including premeditated murder, and that the accused had the intention and were determined to kill the fans by carrying bladed weapons, firecrackers and stones.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment