Palestinian young man found dead at Egyptian side of Rafah crossing
Palestinians wait to cross to the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing, in the southern Gaza Strip, Saturday, June 13, 2015. Egypt has opened its borders with the Gaza Strip for the first time in months on Saturday and will operate for three days, allowing Palestinians to travel in both directions. Maher Abu Sabha, head of Gaza's crossing, says 15,000 people have applied to exit. Rafah is Gaza's only gateway to the outside world with no Israeli control. (AP Photo/Adel Hana)
By

CAIRO: Egyptian Authorities found Sunday the body of a young Palestinian man along the Egyptian border with Gaza, Palestinian news Agency Maan reported.

Shaaban, 24, was one of Gaza’s Rafah residents, and he had been missing since Saturday, anonymous Palestinian officials said.

The reason of his death is unknown yet.

On May 28, a 77-year-old Palestinian woman, Youssra el-Khateeb, died of a case of fatigue during her way back to Gaza via the Rafah crossing. She was one among many Palestinians stranded at the crossing and fainted from sunstroke in the Egyptian side as Egypt was hit by a searing heat wave and sand-storm.

Egypt announced Saturday that the Rafah border crossing would be opened in both directions starting from Aug. 17 for three days.

In October 2014, the crossing was closed indefinitely by the Egyptian authorities in both directions after coordinated attacks that killed 27 armed forces personnel in Sheikh Zuwayed.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment