European body concerned over Turkey’s crackdown on town 
A left-wing protester against Turkey's operations against Kurdish militants runs to avoid water from a police water canon, after he threw a petrol bomb at it during clashes in Istanbul, early Sunday, Aug. 16, 2015. There had been a sharp escalation of violence lately between Turkey's security forces and the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK. and the collapse of a two-year peace process with the rebels. Dozens of people, mostly Turkish soldiers, have died since July in the renewed violence. (AP Photo/Cagdas Erdogan) TURKEY OUT
By

ANKARA: European human rights body has called on Turkey to allow independent observers into a mainly-Kurdish town where the government has imposed a curfew as security forces battle suspected Kurdish militants.

Nils Muiznieks, human rights commissioner for the Council of Europe, said Friday he was concerned about allegations of “disproportionate use of force” against civilians in Cizre, which has been under a curfew since Sept. 4.

Interior Minister Selami Altinok said seven suspected Kurdish rebels and one civilian have died in clashes there. A pro-Kurdish opposition party says 21 civilians were killed.

Authorities have barred a delegation of pro-Kurdish party officials from entering Cizre.

Scores of people have been killed in the renewed conflict between the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or the PKK, and the security forces since July.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment