CAIRO: Around 19 million students will begin the 2015/2016 year in 49,500 schools nationwide Monday, while school openings have been postponed in two cities in North Sinai.
The Ministry of Education denied Sunday rumors claiming that the beginning of the education year would be delayed to early October, saying it adhered to rules set by the Egyptian Pre-University Education Council.
In a publication distributed to all government-run and private schools, the ministry warned of “politicization” in the educational year to avoid differences between the students and teachers. The ministry also warned of graffiti of political and religious slogans on school walls.
In October 2014, a seven-year-old student was killed due to poor maintenance in his schools in Marsa Matrouh governorate when the school gate fell on his head; a ministry official told Youm7 previously that 50,000 dilapidated schools cannot be repaired.
The pre-university educational system in Egypt is divided into three levels: primary, preparatory, and secondary for ages between 4 and 17 years old. Education in religious al-Azhar schools, supervised by the Supreme Council of the Al-Azhar Institution, will start Monday as well.
Delaying education in N.Sinai
The first school day in Sheikh Zuwayed and Rafah of in North Sinai will start Oct. 10, due to maintenance work in the schools, head of ministry office in North Sinai Hassan Hegazy told Youm7.
Schools will operate normally in areas of Arish and Bir al-Abed and al-Nakhal, he added.
The decision of postponing the educational year in those cities acme after Bedouin sheikhs asked for the delay due to lack of security there, Vetogate reported Sunday. North Sinai Egypt military forces recently launched operations against Islamic State affiliates operating in the peninsula.