CAIRO: The number of poisoned students in Beheira primary school increased to 108 students, who suffered food poisoning after eating lupin beans, Youm7 reported Tuesday.
According to the Head of al-Nobarya public hospital in Beheira governorate, the tainted beans were bought from the cafeteria of the school.
He added that the ill students received the necessary medical help and have been discharged from the hospital.
Youm7 reported Tuesday that 81 students in Al-Adl primary school in Beheira governorate suffered from food poisoning.
General Manager of Preventive Medicine Abdel Nasser said that using water unsuitable for human consumption to prepare the lupins was the reason behind the poisoning.
The incident began with only 10 poisoned students who started vomiting, with more and more showing symptoms of illness..
Samples from the food remains, vomit and schools water were collected to be examined; the students are being treated.
On Sept. 27, approximately 19 million students began the 2015/2016 academic year in 49,500 schools nationwide.