Death toll expected to rise in Bucharest nightclub fire
A survivor of a fire that occurred in a club in Bucharest, Romania, cries, wrapped in a thermal blanket outside the scene early Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015. Photo AP
By

BUCHAREST, Romania: Survivors of a deadly nightclub fire and stampede in Romania say the soloist of the heavy metal band on stage at first made a joke about the fire before it engulfed the basement club in downtown Bucharest.

Hundreds of young people had gone clubbing at the hip Colectiv nightclub Friday night to enjoy a free concert by the Goodbye to Gravity metal band. The evening ended in horror, as the inferno caused a panic that left 27 people dead and 180 injured. As of early Saturday, at least 146 people were still hospitalized around the capital, many with serious injuries, and authorities feared the death toll could rise further.

Raed Arafat, an emergency situations official, said Saturday that 17 of those who died still have not been identified and he feared that others would die of their injuries.

TV stations posted a number for families to call to find out about the tragedy, the worst of its kind in Romania’s history.

Witnesses told Antena 3 TV that between 300 to 400 mostly young people had been at the club, housed in a former factory, when a pyrotechnical show went awry. They said there was only one exit.

Club-goers told Digi 24 television that a spark on stage ignited some polystyrene decor. Photos posted on social media appeared to show a flame emanating from a pillar covered in foam insulation as those in the audience applauded the band.

Delia Tugui, teacher at the American International School of Bucharest who was at the concert with her husband and son, said club-goers were taken by surprise at how fast the fire grew and panicked as it spread.

“The soloist made a quick joke: ‘This wasn’t part of the program.’ The next second, he realized it wasn’t a joke and asked for a fire extinguisher,” she wrote on her Facebook page. “In 30 seconds…the fire spread all over the ceiling. People rushed to the entrance but it was too narrow, and people panicked. Behind me people stampeded, climbing over each other, to try and get out.”

“Friends were looking for each other under the pile of people. Asking ‘Is it you? Where are you? I can’t see you. Is that your arm?’ It was a nightmare.”

She said she knew some would not escape.

“I realized that those on the other side of the bar would not get out alive.”

Florentina Dinca, 38, who lives opposite the nightclub, told The Associated Press there was chaos as emergency workers tried to aid the badly burned club-goers.

“They were very frightened, they screamed, ambulances didn’t know what to do,” she said. “Girls had their hair burned, they had burns on their faces. It was terror. ”

Bogdan Oprita, spokesman for the Floreasca Emergency Hospital where dozens were hospitalized, said it was the worst bloodshed since the 1989 anti-Communist revolution.

“It was like a war. Dozens of surgeons were called from home and asked to operate,” he said.

President Klaus Iohannis visited injured people Saturday at the Floreasca hospital in Bucharest and tried to comfort survivors and relatives. He said most of the injured were unconscious and in serious condition.

He also promised an inquiry into the blaze to prevent future disasters.

“I visited burns patients from last night’s tragedy,” he said. “I spoke to a patient’s mum. People are disgusted that such a thing could happen and I hope we manage to have results of the inquiry as soon as possible and to change norms so that things like this never happen again.”

Prosecutors said they are investigating possible manslaughter charges. Police spent all night in the club investigating the incident and questioning the club’s owners.

The government is meeting later Saturday and is expected to announce three days of mourning.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment