Egypt: reports of UK plane avoiding missile in Sinai ‘inaccurate’
Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri - YOUM7 (Archive)
By

CAIRO: Egypt denied Saturday UK media reports claiming that a British passenger plane had avoided a missile in Egypt in August, saying such “allegations…are completely inaccurate.”

“Incident involved ground-to-ground firing exercise in a military base a few kilometers from Sharm airport, there was no ground-to-air firing involved whatsoever,” said Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid Saturday.

He added that the Egyptian and British governments are “fully aware that the plane was in no danger,” adding that British Airliners was previously informed of military exercise and instructed of procedures.

The Daily Mail reported Friday that a UK plane with 189 passengers avoided a missile at 1,000 feet height while it was approaching Sharm el-Sheikh Airport in August.

The reports came a week after a Russian Plane with 224 people crashed in Central Sinai. London and Washington hinted that the crash could have been caused by an explosive device aboard, however Egypt and Russia said that there has been no confirmation on any explosions.

An international investigation team announced Saturday that the debris pattenr was consistent with an “in-flight break-up,” and added that a sound is heard immediately before the black boxes stop recording. The team has not announced the official cause of the “break-up.”

However, for security measures, several countries including Moscow, London, Germany, Belgium and France have suspended its flights to Sharm el Sheikh Ariport.

 

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment