The Latest: By midday, 23,000 Russians home from Egypt
Russian plane crash
By

CAIRO: The latest on the crash of a Russian plane in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula over a week ago that killed all 224 people onboard. (All times local.)

11:30 a.m.

Russian news agencies are quoting Dmitry Gorin, vice president of the Russian Travel Agencies Association, as saying the number of Russian tourists brought home from Egypt is likely to reach 23,000 by mid-day.

Their returns come after last week’s announcement that Russia was suspending new passenger flights to Egypt because of security concerns in the aftermath of the Oct. 31 plane crash. Dozens of airliners have been bringing Russian tourists back home, carrying only cabin baggage, while Russian cargo planes are hauling back the rest of their luggage.

The Emergency Situations Ministry said in a statement that the authorities will also be bringing over 130 tons of the tourists’ luggage on four cargo planes on Monday.

___

10:25 a.m.

At the biennial airshow in Dubai, Airbus officials say the company is confident in the safety of its A321 aircraft, including the plane that crashed in Egypt.

Airbus Chief Operating Officer for Customers John Leahy told reporters on Monday that he is “very confident in the A321’s safety record and the safety of the design.”

Vice President of Communications at Airbus Stefan Schaffrath rejected suggestions the aircraft itself was faulty.

The passenger jet, operated by Russia’s Metrojet, crashed on Oct. 31, nearly 30 minutes after takeoff from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, heading to St. Petersburg.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment