CAIRO: A parliamentary candidate in Ismailia and two of his friends were referred to the prosecution Thursday for fabricating the abduction of his son, Youm7 reported.
Yassin Mohamed alleged he received a phone call with an ultimatum, and the abductors demanded a ransom of 500,000 EGP ($63,800) or that he withdraw from the parliamentary race.
After investigations were launched, the father arrived at a police station with his son, 11, to report that the abductors had informed him of the boy’s whereabouts.
After questioning the child, however, the police learned that a friend of the father’s friends took him to a place he does not know and left him at an acquaintances’ home.
The three defendants said they alleged the abduction to gain voters’ sympathy, according to the police.
The second phase of Egypt’s long-awaited parliamentary elections is scheduled to kick off Nov. 21 in 13 governorates including Cairo, Dakahlia, Menoufia, Port Said and Sharqia with 27.5 million eligible voters.
A total of 222 independent parliamentary seats will be available in the second phase, with 2,847 candidates competing in 102 constituencies, the High Election Committee (HEC) announced earlier this month.