CAIRO: Three Egyptian T.V. channels have been banned from airing media coverage on the ongoing 2nd phase of Egypt’s parliamentary elections as per Saturday’s decision issued by the High Elections Committee (HEC,) Youm7 reported.
“CBC, Al Faraeen and Sada Al Balad T.V. satellite channels are completely banned from airing interviews, presenting polls or advertisements related to the parliamentary elections second phase. The decision comes into effect as of today (Saturday) and lasts for three days,” HEC said in a statement, according to Youm7.
If any of the said T.V. satellite channels does not comply with the ban decision, more severe punishments will be applied, HEC member Adel Al Shorbagy was quoted by Youm7 Saturday.
HEC said the ban decision is based on violations recently monitored by the committee responsible for observing media coverage of Egypt’s upcoming parliamentary elections. However, the violations remain disclosed.
The second phase will kick off domestically Sunday in 13 governorates: Cairo, Dakahlia, Menoufia, Port Said, Dakahlia, Gharbia, Kafr el Sheikh, Damietta, Ismailia, Suez, North Sinai, Sounth Sinai and Sharqia with 27.5 million eligible voters. Egyptian expatriates’ two-day voting kicked off Saturday.
A total of 222 independent parliamentary seats will be available in the second phase, with 2,847 candidates competing in the 102 constituencies, the High Election Committee (HEC) announced earlier this month.
In addition to the independent candidates, four electoral coalitions; namely the For the Love of Egypt, the Nour Party, the Egyptian Front and Independence Current Alliance, and the Republican Alliance of Social Forces, will contest in the second phase.
Results of the first phase of Egypt’s parliamentary elections indicated a landslide victory of the For the Love of Egypt’s electoral list, which won 60 seats in Upper Egypt and East Delta constituencies.