HELSINKI: Swedish prosecutors on Sunday ordered the release of a 22-year-old man held on suspicion of preparing “terrorist” crimes.
Deputy Chief Prosecutor Hans Ihrman said Moder Mothama Magid should be released because he was no longer suspected of any crime.
Earlier, prosecutors had demanded that Magid should be detained while being investigated by Sweden’s Security Service.
The prosecutor’s office said the investigation would continue because police still had reason to believe someone had been preparing to commit terrorist offenses against unknown targets. It provided no more details.
Magid was arrested Thursday by police at a refugee center in a remote village in Arctic Sweden, but his arrest was not believed to be connected to the Paris attacks which caused tensions throughout Europe.
On Wednesday, the Scandinavian country raised its threat alert to the second-highest level and hours after the security service, known as SAPO, said it was searching for a man on “suspicion of preparing to commit terrorist offenses.”
The most recent attack in Stockholm was on Dec. 11, 2010, when an Iraqi-born Swede, Taimour Abdulwahab al-Abdaly, detonated two devices, including one that killed him but no one else, in central Stockholm.