5 houses catch fire in Sohag due to gas leak
Fire - YOUM7 (Archive)
By

CAIRO: Five houses have caught fire in a town in Upper Egypt’s Sohag due to butane gas leak, Youm7 reported Friday.

Civil protection forces put out the fire; no causalities have been reported as a result of the fire.

In a separate incident in the governorate, two brick buildings collapsed after the demolition of a third adjacent house.

Last week in Beheira’s city of Damanhur, demolition works triggered the collapse of a nearby five-story building, killing a 61-year old man.

Commonly recurring in Egypt, the phenomenon of building collapses is mostly blamed on building laws, lack of government oversight, corruption, poor maintenance and failing to follow global construction standards, according to a 2014 survey by the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR.)

Additional reporting by Mahmoud Maqboul from Sohag.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment